Beauty For Ashes (Chapter 6)

1/15/2016 10:36:00 am 0 Comments A+ a-

Happy birthday sweetie,’ her melodious voice called out. I turned swiftly and simply flashed my most pleasant smile at her before she pulled me into a brief hug. I was on my way to class after assembly when she caught sight of me. ‘You are looking so beautiful sweetie,’ she added with a grin.
‘Thanks dear.’
‘I guess I’m reminding you of what you already know.’ I gave another smile. She continued, ‘So what’s today going to be like?’
‘You know already. I’m just going to have a simple bash with my family and few friends.’
‘All right then. See you later,’ she said and hurried off to class.’ We were in SSS 2 now with Lisa in the Arts department and me in the Science department.

BREAK-TIME
‘Don’t open this till you get home,’ Lisa said pointing at the little parcel she had given me.
‘Okay, if you say so. Thanks Lisa. You are an angel,’ I said staring into her bright eyes.
‘You are welcome dearest.’ Quickly, my mind drifted to her birthday, one month earlier. I had given her a parcel containing a wristwatch, a gown and a pair of shoes. Mother had gone shopping in Paris and had helped me buy Lisa those things. Mother was a fashion freak and made sales of clothes of superior quality on a small scale. Mother was fond of Lisa and often said she was a good influence on me. She (Mother) could see that I had become more enthusiastic and full of life. I became an all-smiling fellow, just like Lisa. Lisa was such a bubbly character and had exerted her charms on me. Lisa had been to my home a few times but I had never been to hers.

It was 5:30pm. We had just rounded off my party and people came in turns to congratulate me. Almost everyone there had given me birthday gifts. I really felt like a queen in my bright red evening gown. I wore my hair in jelly curls. Yes! I was a beauty queen.
‘Hello, thou fairest of all!’
‘Oh dear, thank you so much. It’s so beautiful, the jewellery.’ I had opened the parcel on reaching home. She had given me a gold necklace.
‘I’m glad you love it. You deserve more, sweetie.
‘I thoroughly enjoyed my day.’
‘Yup, it’s your day after all.’ She glanced at her wristwatch and said, ‘I have to go now. I’ll meet my mum and dad at church. You know, my church is not far from here.’
‘Oh, okay dear. Run along.’
‘Bye sweetie, and make sure you enjoy the remaining part of your day.’
‘I sure will.’ She gave me a warm hug with the words, ‘See you tomorrow’, and then I watched her take a brisk walk out of the living room.