NOT IN THAT WAY(1)

11/10/2017 05:14:00 am 0 Comments A+ a-

He reached across the table that separated us and placed his hand over mine, squeezing it affectionately.

'Dami, you mean so much to me.' He was staring into my eyes, and I desperately wanted to avert my gaze to something else. Anything to avoid this eye-contact thingy. I boiled with confidence most times and always thought I could look anyone in the eye. So this feeling was new. I was so shy, so excited I feared I'd blush carelessly or smile too much or become breathless. Or I would wet my underwear. I was having a fairly hard time holding in the urine that threatened to escape its prison at any little provocation.

My eyes settled on the small mahogany table, and I listened as he continued, 'The softness of your voice and ethereality of your smiles calm the raging storms in my head. Thanks for everything.'
'And thanks for bringing me here. It's a beautiful place. And they have really tasty cuisines,' I said trying to ease off the tension. I felt I could look up now. I saw him nod and smile, like an understanding older brother would. He sure knew and understood my trick.

***
He dropped me off a little but safe distance away from my house. I was only being careful. I wasn't going to allow myself to become the new object for cheap gossip in my nearly overpopulated neighbourhood. As I walked on, I smiled to myself. I was satisfied. Josh had made my day once again.

I smiled yet again when music blaring from a loud speaker in front of a music shop greeted my ears. It was a popular song, and of course I had heard it several times. Only that it was different this time. Or so it seemed. It held a deep meaning now. I suddenly felt like I could relate with the lyrics. Today Ed's words seemed alive and more beautiful than ever.
'People fall in love in mysterious ways... maybe just a touch of a hand... Well me, I fall in love with you everyday,' I sang along excitedly.

It was the sight of the gigantic black gate that shielded our home from the outside world that jolted me back to reality, and I thanked my lucky stars that no one had noticed that I was grinning like an idiot as I walked home. That would have been enough to send tongues wagging.
'Love sure makes idiots of its slaves,' I thought to myself. It was a delicious feeling.