Beauty For Ashes (Chapter 9)

2/03/2016 12:44:00 pm 0 Comments A+ a-

I walked into the living room with heavy steps, totally tired. Michael had dropped me off before leaving with the car on an errand for Father.
‘Good evening, mum,’ I greeted. I was very much surprised to see her.
‘Sweetheart, you are welcome. How was school today?’ Mother was stretched out on one of the sofas watching her favourite TV programme.
‘Splendid. Mummy, how come you are home early today?’
‘Aren’t you happy I'm home before you today? She continued immediately, ‘I’ve adjusted my schedule and every day, I’ll be home even before you are back from school. We’ll have more mother-and-child time, dear.’ For the past three months, Mother was either away on a trip or she was home late, so I was happy about the change.
‘I’m very happy to hear that, mum,’ I said with a smile.
‘I know you are. Go ahead, and freshen up dear.’
I walked away. School was hectic today. Monday this week, prefects had been nominated and the post of the laboratory prefect had been given to me. Of course, Lisa was the choice head girl.
I had a bath and put a few things in order before coming out of my bedroom for dinner. By the time I was out, the table was set. I sat down to dinner with Mother. I opened up the dishes and behold, it was spaghetti and chicken casserole.
‘I made this especially for you. I’m sure you will enjoy it.’
‘Oh, Mum. You are so sweet.’
‘Go on, and eat your food.’ We both ate slowly and chatted intermittently.
‘I want to go shopping with you on Saturday, and Lisa can come along if that’s what you want.’
‘Oh, thanks Mum. Lisa would be happy to hang out with us.’
‘So start thinking of what you want to get for yourself but I hope you don’t end up demanding a jet.’
‘Ha, ha, ha,’ I laughed and continued with my sumptuous meal.’
‘So how are you coping with your new job at school?’
‘It’s a herculean task. That's the best way I can describe it.'
‘Herculean? I guess that’s an exaggeration. And very soon, you will get used to your job, dear.’
‘Hmmm. I don't know if I ever will. I continued, ‘Ehm, Mum... you once told me you were assistant head girl in your days. How was it like for you?’
‘Easy as a pie,’ she said.
‘Mum, that can’t be true.’
‘Ha, ha, ha. Jokes aside, it was difficult and worsened by my being the youngest in my class and small in size as well. But I soon learnt to make good use of the power I had at my disposal. It’s greater than size and age.’
‘Hmm. Your school experience must have had its share in moulding you to be who you are today.’
‘Yes, sweet. And so will yours. Make the most of your time there.’
‘Yay, Mum.’
'Ese, your father and I are immensely proud of you,' she said with a mark of seriousness. She only called me by my name when she discussed something she deemed to be of great importance. At hearing those words, my eyes dilated and then, I smiled widely but I said nothing. I didn't know what to give as a response. However, seeing my eyes sparkle and my lips spread in a warm smile was enough for Mother.
‘Nina!’ Mother called out.
‘Yes madam,’ she answered as she hurried into the dining area.
‘Clear up the table,’ Mother ordered.