Beauty For Ashes (Chapter 7)

1/23/2016 01:08:00 pm 0 Comments A+ a-

There was no doorbell to click. The burglary proof was left ajar, so I walked straight to the door. I knocked once, twice and thrice. Finally, someone from within came to get the door. It was a boy of about nine.
‘Good afternoon sister,’ he greeted shyly.
‘Good afternoon,’ I said standing by the door. ‘I’m Lisa’s friend, Ese.’
‘You’re welcome. You may come in.’
I walked into the living room as the boy went in to inform Lisa of my presence, gingerly sat down on the first armchair I came by and looked around. It was a small but fastidiously neat room.
‘Wow! Who do we have here?' Lisa chirped immediately she set her eyes on me. She added with a hug, ‘I’m so happy to have you at my house today.’ Without waiting for my reply, she grabbed my hand and said, ‘Let me take you to my mum.’
My nostrils were greeted by the most pleasant aroma as we approached the kitchenette. I walked in to meet Mrs Omorodion stirring a pot of soup. She turned back immediately I greeted, ‘Good evening ma.’
‘Good evening pretty,’ she said. Turning to Lisa, she remarked, ‘Lisa, you didn’t tell me Ese is such a beauty queen.’ Lisa shot a smile at me. ‘Well, I’ve been told a lot about you,’ said the tall woman who was an older version of Lisa. They had the exact same facial features.
‘Thank you ma’am,’ I said, a little timid.
‘You are welcome dear,’ she said with a sweet smile. To Lisa, she said, ‘Lyly, quickly chop those vegetables so you can entertain your friend.’
Five minutes later, Lisa and I were in the living room again. Hanging on the wall were different framed pictures with different messages inscribed on them. But one struck me. The one that read: My thoughts towards you are countless as the sand on the sea shore.
‘I guess it’s your driver that dropped you off.’
‘Yea, and he will be back to pick me up when I’m ready to go. I’ll just give a call.’ This was my first time here although I had known her house for some time now. At times, we left school together in the car driven by Samson since our houses were on the same route but hers was closer to school.
‘I’m coming,’ she said as she stood up. In a jiffy, she was back with a tray holding a can of zobo drink and two pieces of sandwich. ‘Have this dear. I made the drink and sandwich myself,’ she said as she placed the brightly coloured tray on a stool close by.
‘Really?’ I gaped.
‘Yea, dear. It’s really easy to make both items. When you come again, and I hope you will soon, we will make these together.’