Beauty For Ashes (Chapter 1)

11/25/2015 02:06:00 am 0 Comments A+ a-

           As Father drove me to my new school on the second Monday of September, many thoughts sailed within my mind. I thought about the new academic year in a new school. The mere thought of it scared me to bits. I had been at Youngsters' from cradle until before now, and a sudden change wasn't at all cute to me
.
          ‘We are almost there. I hope you aren't too nervous,' Father said, smiling. I simply nodded and returned the smile as he cast a quick look at me. ‘I’m sure you will like it out there,’ he continued as we got close to the gates of Noble Kids’ International School. The school was surrounded by high walls like the towering walls we had back home. The magnificent school walls had coiled electric wiring atop.
             As we drove into the compound, my heart beat faster. I missed my friends at Youngsters’ Academy and couldn’t tell why Father had decided to change my school. Perhaps he saw this as a better choice. Sincerely, my pals back at Youngsters’ weren’t really what friends were in the movies or those thrilling novelle I often busied myself with. They were more of playmates or let me say gist-mates than friends. Notwithstanding, I missed them a great deal, at least at that time. I wondered if I would even be accepted by my would-be classmates.
        As I let different thoughts slide into my mind, Father parked his car, a Lexus jeep in front of a block of buildings. A nervous feeling crept over me as my heart beat even faster. I suddenly wished I could go back home but there was no going back. I was a rather shy damsel, and I silently wondered how I would be able to face an entirely new world.
       ‘All right Ese baby, this is your new school. I’m sure you like it,’ Father said breezily.
       ‘Yes dad,’ I said, almost out of breath. I wished I could be as relaxed as he was. I looked some more and saw lovely and neatly-trimmed flowers gracing the wide school compound. We then descended from the car and headed towards a class with the inscription SSS 1A boldly written on the wall, above the door. A group of girls were standing at the entrance chatting in low tones. I could tell by the expression on their faces and their body movements as well that they were gossiping. I often wondered if people could find anything worth gossiping about me. More so, I was this quiet girl who never made trouble with anyone.
       I noticed a smartly dressed lady emerging from the class right ahead of us and then walking towards our direction. ‘Good morning sir. May I help you?’ the pretty lady asked.
     ‘I guess you are the form mistress of SSS 1A,’ Father said to her.
      ‘Yes I am,’ she replied cheerfully.
      ‘This is my daughter, Ese Osehon. I have already completed all admission processes. She’s supposed to be in your class,’ Father said with a grin spread over his face.
      ‘You are welcome, Ese. I’m Miss Tosin Benjamin, your Economics teacher. Believe me, you are going to enjoy schooling here,’ she said as her smile revealed her immaculate white set of teeth. I smiled back at her and reached for her hand which was asking for a handshake.
      ‘All right I want to leave now. Michael will come pick you up after school,’ Father said to me.
      ‘Bye dad,’ I said as he tapped me on the shoulder.
      ‘Bye dear,’ Father said and headed towards his car parked beside a tree. The sparkling Lexus was just one out of his fleet.
         I followed the young lady who had been standing hands akimbo at the foot of the avocado tree nearby to my new class where I sat quietly.
Soon, it was time for assembly. We all assembled at the school’s ultra-modern hall. It took some time for the prefects to silence the noisy students. It was one activity after the other and soon the assembly was over.
       We marched to our various classes and everyone seemed excited. Lessons commenced immediately. Everything moved with regular speed at Noble Kids'. The first subject for the day was Economics. The good looking form mistress turned out to be a competent teacher as well. I developed a strong liking for this lovable lady.